Many people set a New Year’s resolution for themselves — so why not take a moment to do the same for your business?
Set aside time
Begin by setting aside time to reflect on the last year. Simply ask yourself what worked, what didn’t work, and how you can do better this year. Then decide on what specifically you hope to achieve in the new year.
Decide on an objective
Do you want to bring more awareness to your business? Maybe you’re trying to elicit a consumer behavior or perhaps you’re looking to inform people of a new product and/or service. When you decide on your main objective it’s time to create a plan of action.
Create a plan of action
- If your objective is to gain awareness, then advertising and media relations are typically your best resources. Two specific tactics available are pay-per-click (PPC) advertising and news releases.
- If your objective is to inform, then use your owned media to spread the word. Owned media consists of mediums such as your business website and social media pages. Two specific tactics available are search engine optimization (SEO) and social media campaigns.
- If your objective is to elicit consumer behavior, then sales promotion is a persuading tool. Sales promotion is any kind of incentive that provides added value to the consumer. Sales promotion can be integrated within social media, newsletters and on your business website.
Achieve success with these two tips for objectives
- All future business activities and strategies should align with the business objective you set.
- Set checkpoints throughout the year to review your objectives and use measurement to make sure you are on track. For more insight on measurement see the blog post Taking the mystery out of PR measurement.
What will the new year bring for you and your business? What’s your business New Year’s resolution?